Sunday, January 27, 2008
Hilfiger Ad
I thought that Maxwell's analysis of the ad was correct in many ways, but also over the top in ways. I understand how the pose that the woman is making can be sexually suggestive, but to say it ties in with rape would probably be creating something that isn't there. His analysis of race in this ad is one thing I found trouble understanding. Although he explains how race could play a part in the perception of the ad, I believe he creates a false dilemma. Why does it have to be one way or the other? Why does it have to be no colored people or colored people used in a rotten subliminal way? I believe that even though racism exists in our country, it would not be an impossibility for an African American model to get a legit job without being exploited and used for propaganda. Overall I can agree with the strong appeal to men and the fact that it is sexually suggestive, but I find trouble believing that messages of rape or racism are being displayed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment