Monday, March 3, 2008

Essay 2 Prompt

Essay 2

"Language, Identity, and Power "

4-5 pages

MLA-Style

Standard Submission guidelines

Background

In each of the readings assigned in this unit, language is the subject. These authors, from diverse perspectives, cultures, and genders, each explore how language shapes or is shaped by our individual identities, our community identities, and our society. They raise a host of questions, such as these:

  • If language has such power to define who we are, then can we change who we are by changing our language, learning new ones, or using our own differently?
  • If so, in a world in which our our power relative to others (or, in other words, our place(s) in a infinitely complex overlapping and often conflicting array of social hierarchies) is largely determined by our language and how others receive it, what do we gain and what do we lose by the choices we make (to the degree that we have a choice) in how we speak or write?
  • How can language build bridges to others?
  • how can it cut others off?
  • How can it serve to help us know ourselves?
  • How can it be used to gain power over others?
  • How can others use it to gain power over us?


Gather Data
Analyze the similarities and differences in how Tan, AnzaldĂșa, Rodriguez, Tan, Naylor, Silko, and Orwell address issues of language, power, and identity. As you read, take notes, annotate your texts, develop a chart, transcribe quotations to index cards,

In a prewriting exercise (which we will begin in small groups in class), derive from the questions above a question or two that are directly relevant to your life and your experience and then analyze each of the essays and make inferences about these authors’ probable answers to your question. Find and copy quotations from the essays that best illustrate/explain your conclusions.

Then, think about and write down how YOU would answer the same question or questions, noting specific personal illustrations that lead you to your answers.

Your Assignment
Write a 4- to 5-page essay in which you explain the degree to which you agree or disagree with (at least two of) these authors’ perspectives on some aspect of the relationship between language, identity, and power, asking yourself how you would answer the same question you posed to these authors.


In addition to ample quotation, summarization, and paraphrasing from the texts, use personal evidence to illustrate the points you make in support of your thesis. Use MLA style for citation and prepare a works cited list.

5 comments:

Louie said...

My question is: Can anyone please explain/define"Language, Identity, and Power " more clearly. I understand these are the 3 topics we have to agree/disagree with for each author, but I need a clearer understanding on what "Language, Identity, and Power " is/means...

thanks!

M&M said...

I'm also unsure about those topics and are we supposed to choose 1 question out of the list (in bullets) or answer all of them.

Louie said...

hey maxwell thanks for agreeing to the bribe for the essay...thank god the money I won at the Indian Casino was able to pay off this essay...Better Spend it wisely, it was a fair amount Bribe to receive an "A" in return...Thanks for accepting it and not giving my a stressful 15 hours of essay work! that It usually takes me..

PS: everybody its true BRIBES do work in college...all teachers accept it....Thanks Again! You Da BOMB! haha!

Scott M said...

For now I just stated how I agreed/disagreed with the authors. I have no clue what to write about power.

Zach said...

I too am confused by the selected topics. I understand the language concept. But i don't what i am suposed to write about identity and power. But what is the context of identity and power. I understand there from the essay's but im lost on what direction i need to go.